بيوت الشباب provide budget oriented, sociable accommodation where guests can rent a bed, usually a bunk bed, in a dormitory and share a bathroom, lounge and sometimes a kitchen. Rooms can be mixed or single-sex, although private rooms may also be available. Hostels are generally cheaper for both the operator and the occupants; many hostels have long-term residents whom they employ as desk clerks or housekeeping staff in exchange for free accommodation.
في عام 1912, في قلعة ألتِنا في ألمانيا, قام ريتشارد شيرمان بإنشاء أول "بيت شباب" يعمل بشكل مستمر. These first Youth Hostels were an exponent of the ideology of the حركة الشبيبة الألمانية to let poor city youngsters breathe fresh air outdoors. The youths were supposed to manage the hostel themselves as much as possible, doing chores to keep the costs down and build character as well as being physically active outdoors. Because of this, many Youth Hostels closed during the middle part of the day. Very few hostels still require chores beyond washing up after self-catered meals or have a "lockout".
الفرق بينها وبين الفنادق[عدل]
هناك العديد من الفروق بين بيوت الشباب والفنادق, وتشمل:
- Hostels tend to be budget-oriented; rates are considerably lower, and many hostels have programs to share books, DVDs and other items.
- For those who prefer an informal environment, hostels do not usually have the same level of formality as hotels.
- For those who prefer to socialize with their fellow guests, hostels usually have more common areas and opportunities to socialize. The dormitory aspect of hostels also increases the social factor.
- Hostels are generally self-catering.
- Hostels are generally more "adventure travel" oriented than "leisure travel" oriented, thus attracting a younger, more venturesome crowd.
اتحاد جمعيات بيوت الشباب الدولية[عدل]
انتشرت فكرة ريتشارد شيرمان الخاصة ببيوت الشباب بسرعة فائقة حول العالم وانتهى إلى تأسيس اتحاد جمعيات بيوت الشباب الدولية, وهو منظمة تتكون من أكثر من90 جمعية لبيوت الشباب تمثل أكثر من 4500 بيت شباب فيما يزيد على 80 دولة.
Some HI Youth Hostels cater more to school-aged children (sometimes through school trips) and parents with their children, whereas others are more for travellers intent on learning new cultures. However, while the exploration of different cultures and places is emphasized in many hostels, particularly in cities or popular tourist destinations, there are still many hostels providing accommodation for outdoor pursuits such as hillwalking, climbing and bicycle touring; these are often small friendly hostels retaining much of the original vision and often provide valuable access to more remote regions.
In the past several years, Hostelling International have increasingly added hotels and package resorts to their networks in addition to hostels.
وعلى الرغم من تسميتها ببيوت الشباب, فإنه في غالبية الدول لا تقتصر عضوية جمعيات بيوت الشباب على الشبان إنما تشمل مشتركين من كافة الأعمار.